Welcome to the NHPM Science Research LibGuide! It is designed to be a guide to resources available from the New Hyde Park Memorial High School Library on science topics. Use the links below to get started!
Database Search Tips
· It is crucial to CHOOSE the right database for your task.
· COMBINE keywords and/or subject terms using Boolean logic for fewer, more relevant results.
· USE a database's sorting features for better results.
· Databases may cover specific topics and/or time periods – PAY ATTENTION!
· Use the HELP screens to learn the characteristics of a specific database and improve your searching skills.
· Don’t forget to CITE your sources! Most databases will have a “citation tools” feature – use it!
Simple Tips for Searching the Databases
and – use this to narrow your search results. Typing in the terms anorexia AND bulimia will retrieve articles that have both of those terms.
or – use this to expand your search results. Typing in cats ORdogs will retrieve articles that have at least one of the terms. Also, use this if there might be different ways to enter a term:IBM OR “International Business Machines” or Canine OR Dog
asterisk (*) - use the asterisk to find all forms of a search term. For example the search termbook* will find books, booked, booker, booking, bookkeeper etc..
quotation marks – use quotation marks to search for exact phrase. For example the database will recognize “study skills” as words being together instead of apart.
TIP: A Google Scholar search may yield articles that are freely available but, if not, you can search in our databases to see if the article is available there or contact your librarians to find the article for you.
Writing Scientific Papers
Below are some links to help you with reading and writing scientific papers:
- APA Formatting and Style Guide - Purdue OWL: APA (American Psychological Association) is most commonly used to cite sources within the social sciences. This resource, revised according to the 6th edition of the APA manual, offers examples for the general format of APA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the reference page.
Click the logo above to go to Schoology. The NHPM Science Research Group is where you can request articles and ask questions of the librarians. Don't have a Schoology account? See the librarians for your login information and the group access code.
Science Research Databases
Use Gale's POWER SEARCH to discover all of the great content available at your library right here. Search for any term or phrase and find articles from thousands of magazines, journals, newspapers and books along with videos, images and podcast content. To view a list of all the Gale databases click HERE.
Take the GUIDED TUTORIAL on how to use POWER SEARCH by clicking the icon below:
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Science--Covers all major areas of science, engineering, technology, as well as mathematics and the medical and health sciences, while providing a comprehensive overview of current scientific knowledge and technology.
- Biotechnology In Context--Examines biotechnology and related subjects in the context of science, government, politics, culture and society, and the environment. It also covers historical, political and ethical debates and issues.
- World of Earth Science--A comprehensive guide to the concepts, theories, discoveries, pioneers and issues relating to topics in earth science.
- Environmental Science--Provides comprehensive coverage of earth and environmental science, physics, chemistry, and biology, as well as general science, history, government, and the social sciences.
- World of Forensic Science--Guide to the scientific processes and the legal, social and ethical issues involved in the forensic sciences.
- Scientific Thought--Includes original essays written by leading experts in the field, primary source documents about the interrelation of science and society, and sidebars on the cultural, economic, and political issues surrounding scientific thought -- providing insights on leading social issues and exploring the impact of science on society through the ages.